Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

Two drops do make a difference!!!

One year back when i was doing my internship in Himachal Pradesh and i was amazed seeing that the state had a strict rule against the use of polythenes..so much so that outsiders like us were warned by the localites that people seen with the polythene bags in the market place are charged 200 bucks instantly...I was mighty impressed.The state was making its small little contributions for the environment and it was good to see people making an effort from their sides also.

Then when later this year , i was standing at the billing counter of a big retail chain in Chennai ,i was asked if i would like to take a plastic bag for the merchandise bought . Oblivious to any new notifications on the same i said yes in the routine way . The cashier then added 2 more bucks per packet used by me and i ended up paying 10 rs extra for my purchase ...seems like a trivial amount..does not it?? but trust me it hurts ;)

I took it as a one time thing and the next time i went to shop i was still without any preparation. But this time round i saw a change , out of the 5 people standing in front of me in the line, 3 chose not to take a polythene bag. which goes on to say that atleast 3 polythene bags saved ....." Well Done" ..the efforts have already started showing results. And yes the next time i went for my usual shopping, i made it a point to carry my bag with me.

We live in a state of denial ..feeling that our individual efforts are not of significance to the society,,what we forget is that it is individuals like us only who make the society what it is. So the next time u throw a wrapper on the road, think about it for a second ..because it is you who is making the city u live in a dirty mess.


It is an "I" who can make all the difference and a " You " who can make the world a better place to live in.. Because even if two small drops are added to an empty glass....the glass can no longer be called " EMPTY"....

No comments:

Post a Comment